 Off-Topic / Geek / 211
Re: markup syntax for member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 04:05:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Tim Rueger writes:
In article <FEH9FJ.5zn@lugnet.com>, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:
Here's some sample input/output going down one currently-favored path...
The details of the content in this sample aren't important (it's just a
personal e-mail with some ramblings) • [...]
   Input to the converter:
      http://www.lugnet.com/test/t2h/sample1/input.txt

Todd,

You write emails to your *Dad* about Perl?  That's so cool.

Yeah, we're both hardcore computer geeks -- although he's gone back to school
now to complete his graduate studies in ecology.  Over the past 20 years he's
taught me most of what I know about programming and design, so I try to give
back what I learn whenever I can.  That mail was from about a year ago; I'd
just bought him (or was about to buy him) _Programming_Perl_ for his birthday
and had been ranting to him for some time about how much better it was than
anything else for certain types of tasks in Unix.  He's not really into LEGO,
but when I was 5, I remember a windmill that he built using the old, pre-
Technic gears.  It was blue, and you poured white 1x1 bricks into an inverted
pyramid hopper, and then you turned the vanes on the front (pretending that
you are the wind) and the 1x1 bricks trickled out a chute at the bottom.
There was also some kind of twisted-rubber-band thing that acted like a
clutch or damper in case you turned it too hard or tried to force it if it
got stuck.  I wish I could remember more about it; it's the only thing I ever
remember him building out of LEGO.

--Todd