 Administrative / General / 2154
Re: markup syntax for member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:23:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Moseley writes:
Yes. The idea that a pipe character is special if it occurs in column
one, but not special otherwise, is not one I like.

Ahh, I see...you're thinking in actual terms of a programming language.
But this is a simple text-formatting thing, not a programming language.

But even in terms of programming languages:  much success can be had with
a preprocessor which uses a vertical bar in column 1 to separate code
from comments (the vertical bar meaning code, BTW, not comments.)  But
I digress.  :-)

BTW, the vertical-bar character (only a "pipe" character in the context
of shells :) is special in nearly the same way in other columns.  The
difference is that outside of column 1 (or in column 1 but tightly bound
to the text it begins) it's a paired thing -- so you can put a variable
name or directory name or keystroke in pairs of vertical bars, for example:

*  In the |C:\WINDOWS| directory, find |WIN.INI| and open it in |NOTEPAD|.

*  |ls| can usually be found in |/bin|, i.e., |/bin/ls|.

*  Now press |R|, and for the angle of rotation, enter |90| and press
   |Enter|.

*  Note: This routine raises an exception if |$glort->{top}| is undefined.

The simplest objection is that on a screen without a clear left margin

(1/2 LOL)  Say what?

it can be impossible to
tell why your code won't compile:

This is an example of <B>Bold</B> text and
|                                       must put in a better example
this is <I>italic</I>.

Which is valid HTML, but with the proposed comment tag  the above will
be very hard to relate to the output. Assuming your comment tag works,
the above will output:

This is an example of BOLD text and | must put in a better example this
is italic.

Which I trust has confused you sufficiently?

Yeah, pretty sufficiently confused.  Vertical bar in column one isn't for
comments -- there won't be any comments in this simple text markup.  It's
supposed to be as close to WYSIWYG as you can get for simple text.  Not
supposed to look or feel like a markup language or a programming language.
For example, see:  <http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2144>

--Todd