 Administrative / General / 1990
Re: markup syntax for member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:26:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
very easy to understand, even by an experienced human -- it's too easy
for people to make trivial mistakes like

   The LEGO&reg Group                  Missing ";"

This one is actually legal.

Omitting the ; isn't deprecated and highly discouraged?

I guess that wasn't a good example, anyway.  The one I've seen people have
the most trouble with is © -- someone presumably has originally written

   Copyright &copy 1999 Blah blah blah

and that showed up OK for them, but later they collapsed the whitespace
between &copy and 1999 and forgot to double-check whether it looked OK when
it came out.

I think your suggestion looks fine (but it isn't much work
to handle HTML if you use nsgmls[1]).

If HTML didn't have so darn much gunk built into it these days, it might've
made a really nice option.  It's not really an issue of implementability at
the core, but an issue of abuse/garbaging/etc.

--Todd