 Administrative / General / 2094
Re: markup syntax for member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 04:18:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
[...snipped basic markup language survey and comments...]

Hmm, interesting, I just sort-of half-randomly stumbled onto yet another
markup format...  It goes like this:  You type text as paragraphs separated
by blank lines, and you put special characters in column 1 if you want to do
something special on that paragraph.  Special characters are:

  b  Do boldface through the end of line
  i  Do italics through the end of line
  c  Center the rest of the line
  *  Make a bulleted paragraph
  ]  Indent the paragraph
Indent the paragraph and use the <blockquote> font

Don't laugh -- it's from a fairly popular groupware product.

I don't think it's worth our considering at all for LUGNET purposes (way too
obscure and hard to remember, IMO), but I thought it was interesting how
*different* various text-markup methods could be.  Wow!

troff, anyone?  ;-)

--Todd

Reconsider not considering it.  And add spell checking as well.  To those of
you who read my posts, spellchecking would be a welcome relief (you don't need
to search Dejanews for proof).  And I'd love to be able to format text in posts
to LUGNET.