 Administrative / General / 2114
Re: markup syntax for member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:18:04 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Moseley writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in several messages ...
Member pages on LUGNET will initially be text-based. • ...
I'm lookin' for something simple, pretty, and intuitive -- something like
this, or better:
  Hi, my name is Ed Boxer and I {really} love [Opera], [LEGO®], and
  [Boxing]!

[Todd], {I} must have (missed the start <of this>, but why)? _All_ you're
doing is (forcing) people l{i}ke me to write <[pre>-processors] to remove
the [garbage] that (you{'}<ve)> let (l)users add. *_And*_ some "text" will
become unprintable (<DOS: [dir ([filespec])*]>, _for instance_) without
_escape chars_. *I* [have to say] that *I* find things like (this) paragraph
pretty [unreadable]. And if you translated it to HTML is would not markedly
improve, I venture.

LOL!!!

OK, I shouldn't've crossposted to .off-topic.geek without giving a link (with
that weird URL thing I do) to the top-level node in the thread, explaining
what this was all about.  Here's that:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1977

BTW, one clean way to do lines like your filespec example is to mark pre-
formatted and unencoded text (like code chunks, for instance) with a
vertical bar followed by a space in column 1.  So your paragraph above
could be written thusly:

---begin---
[Todd], {I} must have (missed the start <of this>, but why)? _All_ you're
doing is (forcing) people l{i}ke me to write <[pre>-processors] to remove
the [garbage] that (you{'}<ve)> let (l)users add. *_And*_ some "text" will
become unprintable...

|   <DOS: [dir ([filespec])*]>

...without _escape chars_. *I* [have to say] that *I* find things like (this)
paragraph pretty [unreadable]. And if you translated it to HTML is would not
markedly improve, I venture.
---end---

And (chuckle) *of course* you're going to find that paragraph pretty
unreadable, because no one in their right mind would mark up text that
insanely much, and of course it'll not be a marked imrovement as HTML.
Heh heh, funny guy.  :)  At least it's still semi-understandable in the
above markup.  Here's how awful it looks in HTML, anyway (with attempted
guesses at what you meant by < > and _):

---begin---
<B>Todd</B>, <I>I</I> must have (missed the start <A HREF=
"http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2108">of this</A>, but why)?
<U>All</U> you're doing is (forcing) people l<I>i</I>ke me to write
&lt;<B>pre&gt;-processors</B> to remove the <B>garbage</B> that
(you<I>'</I>&lt;ve)&gt; let (l)users add. *<U>And*</U> some "text" will
become unprintable... <CODE>&lt;DOS: [dir ([filespec])*]&gt;</CODE>
...without <U>escape chars</U>. *I* <B>have to say</B> that *I* find things
like (this) paragraph pretty <B>unreadable</B>. And if you translated it to
HTML is would not markedly improve, I venture.
---end---

I'd hate to see that on the screen.  :)

Note: This bit "(<DOS: [dir ([filespec])*]>, _for instance_)" without the
font chars is "(DOS: dir [filespec]*, for instance)".

I guess what I'm saying is that any format can be mangled, the trick is to
make it hard to mangle. Either by cutting features, or choice of control
chars. Since this is 'net, I suggest either allowing only a micro-HTML
subset (like P,B,I,U and perhaps UL), or using something a little odd as
an escape character to control formatting. Using different brackets is not,
IMO, that. If you're using escapes it's probably better to use optional
explanatory text:  |bold|THIS IS SHOUTING| is the same as |b|SHOUTING|,
and make two escapes the escape character.

I personally tend to say that most users will be either geeks, or confused.
There's a fairly small subset of "other" who will be able to learn a simple
interface *and* will be prepared to RTFM in order to do so. Having played
on FIDONET and early HTML, I expect that subset to be drowned out by the
"confused" group asking FAQ.

"Confused" people really won't need to use anything other than just plain
paragraph-based text.  For them, boldface and italics will be an advanced
feature.

--Todd