 Administrative / General / 2102
Re: markup syntax for member pages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 05:22:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ed Jones writes:
Huh?!  Why?  It's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!  A single
character in column 1 to modify the entire line?  That's somewhat
intuitive for *, ], and >, but for b and i and c it's pathetic.

I'm in shock.  I guess you were never as DOS based as I was.

LOL!!!  OK, I guess some things in DOS, like \ instead of /, are more
disgusting than

B I and C were
the keys in Word Perfect( and several other Dos based word processors) for
those exact commands (usually with the <ALT> or <CTRL> key).

Oh heck, sure -- that makes perfect sense there!  :)  In fact, I'm sure those
letters must be common keys for those command in lots of word processors.
(C is usually used for Copy though now these days, but B and I survive as
bold and italics.)

Let me back up a bit.  Maybe I didn't give enough of an example of how bad
that other markup was that I was talking about.  Here's a concrete example:

If you were to write this in HTML:

   Hi, my name is Ed Boxer and I <I>really</I> love <B>Opera</B>,
   <B>LEGO&reg;</B>, and <B>Boxing</B>!

then in this other markup language, you'd have to write it like this:

   Hi, my name is Ed Boxer and I
   i really
   love
   b Opera
   ,
   b LEGO®
   , and
   b Boxing
   !

(although I'm not 100% positive that it actually lets you change formatting
right in the middle of a sentence like that).  Anyway, that's how bad it is!
You wouldn't want to be stuck using *that*, would you?

I'm lookin' for something simple, pretty, and intuitive -- something like
this, or better:

   Hi, my name is Ed Boxer and I {really} love [Opera], [LEGO®], and [Boxing]!

At least in terms of italics and boldface, I can't imagine anything nicer to
look at than that, can you?  Keep in mind that it's a huuuuuge bonus if this
markup style -- whatever it ends up being -- looks good embedded in news
articles.

(Embedding in news articles means a one-way thing, BTW -- things placed on
member-pages might be copied into news-postings where they could be read
via NNTP newsreaders, to keep up with what's going on in the world as people
make updates to their pages and things.  It wouldn't be a way to add actual
markup to NNTP-posted news articles and have them display marked-up on the
web pages, although perhaps someday there might be some option to do that on
an article-by-article basis through some kind of special Content-Encoding in
the NNTP header.)

--Todd