 Off-Topic / Fun / 575
Re: Free NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 06:12:48 GMT

Lee Jorgensen <ljorgensen@uswest.net> wrote:
How much would a cable modem system be in your area?  Can you get
xDSL?  price?

Pfffft.  I doubt we'll see ADSL or anything like it here in Knoxville
within the next 2 years.  I'm still not well read on it, though.  I
know my department is planning on starting some ADSL testing this
year, though.  Maybe I can get in on it.

Around here, there is no cable modems available, but xDSL runs $40 for
256Kbit both ways.  for ~$65 you can get 512Kbit, and ~$75 for 768Kbit.
you also have to add $20 for the ISP charge.  However, with this setup, you

don't have a phone bill.  The DSL line can handle the computer connection
AND a phone conversation at the same time.

Not bad.  At those prices I'd probably go for the 768, although it
would be tough to go from free ISP and $30/mo for 128k ISDN to $95 for
768.  Probably worth it in the long run for frustration alone.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide