 Off-Topic / Fun / 567
Re: Free NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:04:12 GMT

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:04:28 GMT, "Matt Marshall"
<Matt@rapturesoft.hypermart.net> wrote:

Thanks, I've been working with Personal Web Server that came with win 98
just one question about it, How do I go back in time and stop myself from
installing this piece of crap software(one more good point why profanity
should be allowed, describing MS products) But thanks for the info, with any

Err, yeah. PWS is rather.... unstable, heavyweight, and words like
those I think I'm looking for.

luck by the end of summer I might have a server and a dedicated phone line
for my website(Please be kind goddess of Luck)

Well, I've just about done with my setup. I have a 24-hour cable-modem
hookup, but it acts just like it's a (albeit 115k2) modem. I took an
old 386dx/40, installed some extra mem (8M is minimum, go for 12 or
more if possible), put in a new secondhand 100M HD, because the old
one was broken down completely, temporarily hooked up a CD drive, and
then came the hard part. I installed a bare-bones slackware 3.5 Linux.
It acts now as a masquerading gateway so all the comps in the house
can use the cable-modem, also does mild firewalling, and is my email
server. Unlimited email addresses :) If you have a slightly larger
hard disk (150M+, I'd say) You can also install Apache and your
website. Once it works, it just works. Uptime of a month? no problem.
I've only recently (like this morning) finished configuring it, so the
uptime is only at 5 hours or so now, but I've had it up and working
for 3 days without needing to reboot... And the reboots only came
because I was fiddling with the configuration so much, I wanted to
return the machine to a known state. (manual fiddling, scripts
fiddling, etc, all at once makes for unpredictable results, if
continued too long :) )

Jasper