 Off-Topic / Fun / 582
Re: Free NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 10:31:16 GMT

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 22:50:34 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
Well, I've just about done with my setup. I have a 24-hour cable-modem
hookup, but it acts just like it's a (albeit 115k2) modem. I took an

Not that we'll get cable modems here in Knoxville anytime soon, but do
you mean you only get 115k download speed or upload?  I have friends
with cable modems and they get much faster download speeds.

That's because _our_ cvable provider gives us Kabelfoon Cablemodems :(
They operate on a serial port, and thus are limited to 115k2 by their
UART. Also, it appears that the limit on the local cable net is 155k
(that is 155k is shared by evryone in the area - I don't know how
large those areas usually are) Those other cable modems have an
Ethernet interface, which is 10000k0, compared to 115k2 :) Anyway,
it's very cheap and there's no limit on time online, so I shouldn't
complain, I suppose.

Jasper