 Off-Topic / Fun / 587
Re: Free NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 21:59:11 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
That's because _our_ cvable provider gives us Kabelfoon Cablemodems :(
They operate on a serial port, and thus are limited to 115k2 by their
UART. Also, it appears that the limit on the local cable net is 155k
(that is 155k is shared by evryone in the area - I don't know how
large those areas usually are) Those other cable modems have an
Ethernet interface, which is 10000k0, compared to 115k2 :) Anyway,
it's very cheap and there's no limit on time online, so I shouldn't
complain, I suppose.

Man, that sucks.  I don't even think I could describe how much that
sucks.  Cable modem connection squeezed down to 115k?  Wonder what
kind of jackass thought that up?

Hard to believe that the pipe to the "area" would only be 155k,
though.  Get 5 people on there and you're already as slow as most
modems.

If the possible bandwidth to your home is actually higher than 155k
you may want to consider an accelerated serial card like those made by
Lavalink (www.lavalink.com).  You can get an ISA single port version
that will do up to 460k for less than $30.  I'm about to put one in my
machine since we finally turned on the stac compression at UTK (my ISP
and job).  The 3com TA I have can do that and supposedly get up to
230k.  Won't help much for big .zip downloads, but it ought to help
web-surfing and such.

How cheap, btw?

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)