 Off-Topic / Fun / 580
Re: Free NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:37:20 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Lee Jorgensen <ljorgensen@uswest.net> wrote:
You can.  But I really don't recommend it, nor does the Apache group.
I run it on NT as a service, and occasionally, on my Win98 machine
at home.

I looked at iMatixs' HTTP/FTP server ... nice.  I like it from what I've
seen,
however, the configuration is still unfamiliar.  Plus, it's only about
1.3Meg(in RAM)
whereas Apache/WarFTP comes in around 5Meg(in RAM).

I saw you bash IIS3 earlier.  I'm only just now starting to play with
it, mainly because I'm not taking IIS3 as one of my elective classes
so I figured I should play with it on my own if I want to go for the
MCSE+Internet instead of just MCSE.

Well ... _I_ don't like IIS (3 or 4) because they take up a lot of space and
have a lot of overhead that in my situation is unnecessary.  I will admit
that
if you have some IT pro working on it 40hrs/week it can run fast, good, and
smooth.

IIS is also too complicated for what it does.  If you want a small Personal
Web
Server (like MS claims) then why do you need 50+ Meg of software to do
that?

Apache, once up and running only takes <5Meg HD, and about 3Meg in RAM.
(CGI scripts not included)

Active Server Pages is about the only thing that IIS does have going for it,
but I could achieve something similar with SHTML or SSI.

I know there are FP extensions for Apache on various Unix platforms.
Do they exist for the win32 version?

You're talking about FrontPage?  I'm not sure.  I write all my HTML by hand.

Guess I need to take a look at iMatix also.  Always good to keep a
feel for things even if you aren't using them.

And a good thing to ... it's starting to appear that iMatix is going to be
quite
easy and simple to set up, run, and admin.  Now if it can do Networked
computers
(directories on other systems) for FTP, then I'd be really happy ...

--
Lee Jorgensen  --  Custom Programmer
mailto://ljorgensen@uswest.net