 Off-Topic / Fun / 573
Re: Free NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:36:09 GMT

If you can afford it, try to get xDSL.  The main reason for this, is that
it's
'more dedicated' than a cable modem.  With a cable modem, you have many
others on the same line at any given time.  I believe that a cable company
normally runs a 30MegaBit coax to a neighborhood, and everyone taps off
of that.  With xDSL, you are directly connected to the phone company.

How much would a cable modem system be in your area?  Can you get
xDSL?  price?

Around here, there is no cable modems available, but xDSL runs $40 for
256Kbit both ways.  for ~$65 you can get 512Kbit, and ~$75 for 768Kbit.
you also have to add $20 for the ISP charge.  However, with this setup, you

don't have a phone bill.  The DSL line can handle the computer connection
AND a phone conversation at the same time.

Mike Stanley wrote:

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
Well, I've just about done with my setup. I have a 24-hour cable-modem
hookup, but it acts just like it's a (albeit 115k2) modem. I took an

Not that we'll get cable modems here in Knoxville anytime soon, but do
you mean you only get 115k download speed or upload?  I have friends
with cable modems and they get much faster download speeds.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET

--