 Off-Topic / Fun / 576
Re: Monorail Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:50:58 GMT

Joshua Delahunty wrote:

It's fun to argue, though.

Indeed.  :-)

- I do take issue, however (in the grandest spirit of IMHO, of course
<g>) with the fact that you really veered off target when you CHANGED
your argument.

Your original assertion was that 6399, a _Town_ Monorail, should have a
number of the form 69xx, a Space series set number.  You said (wrote)
that why they didn't would always be a mystery to you.

Oh... ya... well... see, I forgot that 69xx was space. Don't pay much
attention to space(1).

Ya, that's it, I forgot. (2). Actually, I would have been just as happy
if the two Space sets were numbered in synch with 6399, but it just
seems more natural that 6399 be numbered 6993. It's just a transpose,
after all, and one that trips me up all the time: 6990, 6991, 6992 (the
putative new monorail) , 6993... I am forever calling AS 6993 instead of
6399. TLG should change their numbering scheme to make MY life easier.
Ya, that's the ticket. (2).

In fact, I heard from secret sources that they're going to do that. And
further, they are going to send every AS owner a new box with the
correct number on it. Really! (3)
So make sure TLG knows your address if you own an AS.

Later, your argument changed to
    <TLG should have chosen a product-line set numbering series to
properly differentiate the Monorail sets, much as it did with Trains>
(where the brackets specify paraphrasing, not quoting).

Much more reasonable, no? Well, actually, I think you're misremembering.
That's what I said at first. Really! Would I lie to you? (2) You're just
making that other stuff up.

The logic applies to your first argument, and would be hard to "beat," I
think.  As to your new argument, I wouldn't have as strenuous an
objection to such a condition, though they did the Right Thing in the
end, IMHO.

IYHO, of course, but not IMHO. We agree this is academic, as I just want
another monorail set, and I could care less what they really number it.

(who thinks this has not yet reached the l.o-t.f level yet, but who also
admits that it is getting darned close, so has has marked follow-ups
thusly)

Way over the line now. So noted and so followed up.

1 - because as Mike Stanley will tell you, it sucks.

2 - Have you met my wife... Morgan Fairchild?  Ya, that's it, Morgan
Fairchild.(4)

3 - Just ask MAH4546, he'll validate it. His sources are the best.

4 - WHOM I've slept with!
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.