 General / 1728
Re: Monorail Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 06:19:08 GMT

Joshua Delahunty wrote:

Nick Goetz wrote:

I am hoping that someone can fill in the gap. I believe there are three
monorail sets. I am aware of 6991 Unitron and 6399 Airport.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
why Airport shuttle isn't 6993 will always be a mystery to me. It's not
used, nor is 6992.

69xx is space.

The Airport Shuttle is Town, hence 63xx (could've been 66xx or 65xx, but
6399 is where it came up at the time it was released).

Since 6921 (accessory track) was released with the first shuttle (a
space shuttle set), it has the space designation.

Since 6347 (the second set of of the accessory track) was released in
1991 with the Airport Shuttle, it got a town number.

All the track is the same, of course.

                                        -- joshua

Well that's certainly the generally accepted theory. But to me, of
course, the fact that they are Monorail trascends the theme and should
have been the superior factor in deciding the numbering scheme to be
used for the sets and the track packs.

Another example: 3225 is also numbered wrong, there is no reason it
should not have gotten a 45xx number.

That's just my perspective, of course, not TLG's. But there's no arguing
with it. The three big mono sets should have had 3 consecutive numbers,
or 3 numbers from a block of about 10, with the accessory packs numbered
logically. Theme is unimportant when measured against "is it train or

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.