 Off-Topic / Fun / 518
Re: 6 months!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:05:48 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
Me too, but I just installed BeOS Release 4 and it is way too cool to
not lose sleep over. :)

ooh, now that's back to fun. I'm still waiting for BeOS to have all the
right support needed to run on my Libretto....
I've seen release 3 -- how different is 4?

Well, I don't have much to compare it with.  I had 3.2 on a Mac here
in the office until today, but only for a week or so.  I know they
must have improved video support for this 8600, though, because now I
can run at 1024x768x8x75 whereas before I had to run at 800x600 - ick.

Never saw it on an Intel box before, but it is amazingly fast on my
450.  That's compared to this 8600/200, though, and there is really no
comparison between those machines.

To be honest I didn't play with 3.2 enough to see much.

I do know the dial-up networking setup was a breeze.  Literally 5
minutes after booting BeOS 4 for the first time I was on the net.
Even though it didn't have built-in drivers for my 3com Impact IQ ISDN
TA.  When I selected Generic ISDN TA I doubted it would work, but it
did.

I'm not overly fond of their built-in web browser, but it gets the job
done, and who knows, maybe AOL will make a version of Netscape for it.

It has support for my Marvel G200 card out of the box, which is
awesome.  I'm hoping that since Be pitches their OS as a multimedia OS
they will also have tools that will let me use the video capture and
tv tuner capabilities of my card.

Didn't get a lot of time to play with it, but I did run that little 3d
cube thing.  Dropped 6 movies on it, one to a side, and it rotated and
played the movies without pause on all sides.  Pretty impressive.

The special addition of Partition Magic that comes on the CD worked
like a charm.  I'm a long-time PM fan, but this works easy enough for
a novice to use.

More to come...

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)