 Off-Topic / Fun / 514
Re: 6 months!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 02:40:09 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
Hrmmm.  I'm in the market for a 50+" TV right now.  Does that mean I
could justify taking a half dozen out of the store at night to
"evaluate" as long as I return the ones I don't like then pay for the
one I keep?

Well, there's a key difference with software, that makes all such analogies
silly: you can make an infinite number of copies at no cost. It's more like:
you have a Star Trek replicator at home, and you take from the store the
replicator-instructions for six TVs, make 'em all, and then pay the
royalties for the one you like.

Yeah, I know the typical rationalization.  The reality, though, is
that someone who pirates software (or music) is taking something they
don't own without the owner's permission.

If I could steal 50" tv's from Circuit City down the street from my
apt each night after they closed but returned them before they opened
again, so that in their minds they would have never lost them, it
would still be wrong.

Don't get me wrong - I can see a tiny bit of difference since software
(and now music) can be digitally duplicated with no loss to the owner.
And someone can rationalize all day about how they "buy what they use"
or "buy what they play alot" but the fact remains that they stole.
Intellectual property rights are no less important than physical
property rights, imo.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide