 Off-Topic / Fun / 499
Re: 6 months!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:37:42 GMT

Once upon a time, sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess...) wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:33:26 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

playback software.  Burn CD's with 10-15 CDs-worth of music on each.
That would be great for traveling. :)

Note: I am *not* advocating creating mp3-based archive CDs for
distribution or sharing.  Just keeping in that gray area of
duplication for personal use.

But if you have not BOUGHT the music yet, do you even have a right to
duplicate for personal use?

Depends.  If you purchase/pay a fee to a site or store which is licensed
to dispense music 'by the song', then there's no issue.  If I go to a
website which licenses music from artists specifically for downloading,
I believe you get to store it on your computer, and make personal
copies.  But you can't distribute them to other people, and the normal
limitations around public performance apply.  Similarly, there are (or
were, or will be) stores which will burn a CD (probably standard audio
CD, but MP3 would be better) with songs you select from a music library.

But, in my earlier posts, I was thinking primarily about duplicating
music from CDs and vinyl I actually own.

I'd check the warranty on the places you are getting these. If they
are non-copyrighted, you're fine. Otherwise, I would guess that you do
not even have the right to duplicate for personal use. You have the
right to listen.

I haven't actually gotten anything.  I never even purchased a Personics
tape.  But I'd definitely be leary of any websites/ftp archives offering
MP3 for free download, unless they had very obvious disclaimers that
they have been allowed by the artist(s) to offer those files.

Steve