 Off-Topic / Fun / 329
Re: 6 months!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:30:54 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote in message <365c2176.10121201@lugnet.com>...
I just stumbled onto mp3 music.  My 4.6Gig spare drive has about
400Meg left...

I wonder how hard it would be to create an mp3-CD player?  Put
together a CD-ROM drive, DOS-on-a-chip, a DSP, and some custom
playback software.  Burn CD's with 10-15 CDs-worth of music on each.

Uh, done that. A spare 486-100 with hacked ROM-disk Linux fits
nicely into the spare space in an external 5 inch drive bay. Or
you could go the expensive path and put a biscuit into a two bay
box, giving you standard slots yada yada. This is transportable -
still really want mains or a 12V car battery to power it. I don't
think I'm up to building a portable version.

25 CD-ROMs and counting...

Oh, and buying the 32x SCSI CDROM really paid off - I can rip at
about 10x, which really helps. Of course the K6-200 takes 20-odd
hours to compress 18GB of music, but that lets me rip every night
then ignore it. Now I've done the bulk of my collection that
pressure is off, but it worked well for me. Much better than
the 16x drive that ripped at 2x on a good day. Even my 6/2 writer
can rip at 2x

Moz