 Off-Topic / Fun / 38
Re: Email Editors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:06:09 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

Sounds cool.  How does it compare to Emacs in powerfulness?

It is my opinion that nothing can possibly compare to Emacs in
powerfulness.  True, Emacs has a very steep learning curve, especially
for novice users.  But when you've properly learnt to use Emacs, you're
never gonna switch to anything else.  If you don't like the CTRL-key
sequences, you can always use the pull down menus (should keep your
chiropractor (spelling?) happy), or redefine the key sequences.

Personally, I use Emacs for "anything".  To read mail and news, archive
mail and news messages (I have some 13000 articles archived), working
(running various statistics packages, compiling LaTeX documents and C
programs, debugging), browsing the web, arranging files and to pull down
the TV-program from the web, strip the ads and arrange it all in one
separate file.  The latter operation would otherwise cost many
mouseclicks to do using an ordinary browser.

If there's some feature you can't find in Emacs, you can always program
it yourself.  Emacs has a built in programming language to do everything
your heart can desire.

Oh, and if this sounds like some religious rant to you, you're quite
correct.  ;-)

Fredrik