 Off-Topic / Fun / 28
27  |  29
Subject:
pico/columns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 00:33:25 GMT

cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
You mean the thing where it won't let you post anything more than 80 columns
wide? Honestly, I don't know how to fix that. I figure I really shouldn't
post anything wider than that anyway.

Well, no, I *want* to be limited.  I just need to figure out a way to
make pico automatically wrap at about 72 columns.  Need to find the right
FM so I can R it.  [...]

I don't know if this helps much, but I had to figure that out once for pico
inside of pine, and there it's called:

   composer-wrap-column

so you'd might try setting that to 72 somewhere (dunno where).

Hrmmm.  I'll take a look at it.  I don't know why people knock pico.  All
I need to do is type, not word-process, after all.  I guess I got used to
the interface using pine and have stuck with it.

I like pico for quick text edits and use it almost exclusively for email...
I've become as fluent in pico as in vi...what's scarier is running pico in
one telnet window (inside of pine) and running vi in another window (editing
some come), and flipping between the two and not getting mentally mixed up
about keymappings...I don't know how that works, must be subconscious visual
cues with the stuff at the top & bottom of the display in pico.

One of these years I'll bite the bullet learn emacs I suppose, but I'm not a
big fan of Lisp.

I also need to figure out how to make my colors nice in Linux itself since I've
turned on ANSI color to get the benefit of your (now modified) color settings in
the .slrnrc file.  I love the colors in slrn but now everything in my regular
window is a horrid light gray or blue instead of my prefered bright yellow on
black.

You know, what I need is a great big book on Linux, preferrably one that deals
with whatever might be specific to Redhat 5.1, since that's what I've installed.
I looked on both www.bookpool.com (great cheap book prices) and amazon.com and
couldn't really find much of anything.  The book people seemed to like most was
one of the Unleashed books by Sams, but it was published when Redhat 4.2 came
out.

Then again, for all I know the only real differences between 4.2 and 5.1 are
fat-32 support - which I don't even need since the machine this is running on is
all Linux all the time.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.auczilla.com - World's Largest Online Selection of LEGO Pieces