 Off-Topic / Fun / 26
Re: Ldlite 1.0 delayed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 21:56:25 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
would be feasible.  Now if I understand correctly when you run something
like X-win32 the machine doing most of the work is the Linux box, right?
The PC is mainly just displaying the output?  I need to get mine at work
setup for this.  Wonder how it would work over ISDN from home?

Yeah, the real work is done on the Linux box; the Win95 machine just does
the display. It works tolerably over fast WAN connections, although you're
probably not going to want to do it that way regularly.

X-win32's pricing kinda scares me.  $200.  I think we can get Exceed
for a heckuva lot cheaper than that through UTK, but I don't know how

Yeah, it's expensive, but I've found it far superior to other Win95 X
servers. So I talked my last employer into buying it for me. :)
You're able to use the demo version for up to two hours in a row (after
which you just have to restart it), so maybe that'd be good enough.

Or, you can use MI/X, from http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/ which is
completely free, but in my opinion not as good. (For example, it doesn't let
you use Win95 as a window manager -- your X desktop runs in its own window,
rather than letting X apps mix freely with your Win95 ones.)

copy since we only have it installed on one machine right now and we have
licenses for at least 6 of them.  Yeah, that's the ticket, I'll use it
at home and become more familiar with it so I can do better at my job. :)

:) yes, that's the Way.

Oh, and another slrn support question.  How do I change the number of
columns I am limited to?  I am using pico as my editor (didn't know what
joe was - that's what you had specified, I think), so maybe it is something
I have to set within pico.

You mean the thing where it won't let you post anything more than 80 columns
wide? Honestly, I don't know how to fix that. I figure I really shouldn't
post anything wider than that anyway.

Joe is a *nix text editor which uses Wordstar-like commands. Great for those
of us with those ^K things ingrained in our heads from childhood.

And FAR more powerful than pico. Ohmigod. Anything is more powerful than
pico. :)