 Off-Topic / Fun / 34
33  |  35
Subject:
X for Win95, etc. (was Re: Ldlite 1.0 delayed)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 06:23:37 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
Nah, I don't like to mess with demos that I know I'll never pay for.
I've got a lot of friends who do shareware programming, so I kinda feel
guilty using something I'm supposed to eventually pay for when I know
going into it that I never would.

I generally feel that way too, but this isn't really shareware; it's a free
demo version of a commercial product. Which, ethically speaking, seems miles
away -- you're licensed to use the free (but slightly crippled) version as
long as you want with no obligation, moral or otherwise.

I might give that a shot.  I'm going to try something called VNC as well.
I've used it to link two Win95 machines over a lan, but it also can be
used as a pseudo x-server, sorda, it seems.

Yeah, I've thought about looking into that, but haven't tried yet...

Well, no, I *want* to be limited.  I just need to figure out a way to
make pico automatically wrap at about 72 columns.  Need to find the right
FM so I can R it.  That's my problem most of the time - I *love* reading
manuals when I can't figure out something, but in cases like this I don't

Try `man pico`. The -r option, I think is what you want.

You know, what I need is a great big book on Linux, preferrably one that
deals with whatever might be specific to Redhat 5.1, since that's what I've
installed. I looked on both www.bookpool.com (great cheap book prices) and
amazon.com and couldn't really find much of anything.  The book people
seemed to like most was one of the Unleashed books by Sams, but it was
published when Redhat 4.2 came out.

Anything O'Reilly makes is good.  (Although I wouldn't recommend their
"linux in a nutshell", as that's just a collection of man pages.)

I was flipping through "A Practical Guide to Linux" at a bookstore the other
day; it looked pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201895498/qid=907481905/sr=1-52/
                       002-2978605-6733663
(ooh, see, that's where i'd like to post something wider than 80 chars...)

Then again, for all I know the only real differences between 4.2 and 5.1 are
fat-32 support - which I don't even need since the machine this is running on is
all Linux all the time.

There's a lot of differences between 4.2 and 5.x, but none really affect
basic functionality much. Mostly updated versions of things, a few new
tools, but really if you're just learning things, the differences don't
matter. Don't get anything earlier than 4.2 though....