 Off-Topic / Fun / 35
Re: who was the 1st non-north american to possess mindstorms???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 06:36:40 GMT

Perhaps a Princess.... wrote:

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998 00:06:17 GMT, Joshua Delahunty
<dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:

"Chick Flick" is the more common term, AFAIK.  Though I've never liked
the term "flick" to refer to films (it really cheapens them in my mind),
here it's warranted because the rhyme fits in well with the entire term.

You *can* cheapen films? I had never thought of them as worth anything
more than mind-fluff in the first place, for the most part...

I guess you're not going to the right films then.  You only catch
flicks?  :-P

There was a friend I had that I shared a house with when I first began
college.  After almost every film we saw together (most of them on
video, where "flick" applies much more), his standard response would be
"Good Flick."

Had he been there when I walked out of _Saving_Private_Ryan_, my eyes
damp and my mind reeling -- partially from my newly formed impression of
war, partly because I had been fully aware of the rather obvious devices
used to jerk tears and still they came anyway (one of the marks of a
good film, IMHO: you see the manipulation coming a mile away, and yet
you not only respond, you marvel at how well it was done) -- I would
have gut-punched him [OK, maybe it would have only been Stink Eye].

As we walked out of _Top_Gun_, a film he practically DRAGGED me to,
going on and on about the film (and not a little bit because of Kelly
McGillis' appearance therein: yawn), he said "Good Flick."  Now, I like
the film, I own a copy on LD, it gets me "pumped" and patriotic, but it
is definitely a flick, and I'm happy to let it be called one.

However, it seemed incongruous to me that he'd talk the film up to me
with such vigor (KM wasn't the only feature for him), and then reduce
the entire experience of watching it to "good flick."

----

Yes, you _can_ cheapen film.  Perhaps you can't cheapen movies, but you
can _film_.

BTW, _Top_Gun_ made me wanna join up (and I have a brother-in-law that
did, affected in no small way -- I'm sure -- because of seeing it) and
so did have an effect on me.

_Saving_Private_Ryan_ also had an effect on me -- exactly the opposite
to wanting to join up.  I think the latter effect will stick with me
much longer, probably past my lifetime and into my childrens' lives.
Now that's what film can be about.

(Admittedly, this was a late-nite, hastily drawn example, and there ARE
much better "films", but I hope you can see my point).

-- joshua