 Off-Topic / Fun / 27
Re: Ldlite 1.0 delayed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:32:35 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
Yeah, the real work is done on the Linux box; the Win95 machine just does
the display. It works tolerably over fast WAN connections, although you're
probably not going to want to do it that way regularly.

Yeah, I hear you.  To be honest I'm not sure what I would run at home
over ISDN that I couldn't just run in Win98 anyway.  I think I'll do it
more at work and then if I make another box for home, do more then.

Yeah, it's expensive, but I've found it far superior to other Win95 X
servers. So I talked my last employer into buying it for me. :)
You're able to use the demo version for up to two hours in a row (after
which you just have to restart it), so maybe that'd be good enough.

Nah, I don't like to mess with demos that I know I'll never pay for.
I've got a lot of friends who do shareware programming, so I kinda feel
guilty using something I'm supposed to eventually pay for when I know
going into it that I never would.

Or, you can use MI/X, from http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/ which is
completely free, but in my opinion not as good. (For example, it doesn't let
you use Win95 as a window manager -- your X desktop runs in its own window,
rather than letting X apps mix freely with your Win95 ones.)

I might give that a shot.  I'm going to try something called VNC as well.
I've used it to link two Win95 machines over a lan, but it also can be
used as a pseudo x-server, sorda, it seems.

You mean the thing where it won't let you post anything more than 80 columns
wide? Honestly, I don't know how to fix that. I figure I really shouldn't
post anything wider than that anyway.

Well, no, I *want* to be limited.  I just need to figure out a way to
make pico automatically wrap at about 72 columns.  Need to find the right
FM so I can R it.  That's my problem most of the time - I *love* reading
manuals when I can't figure out something, but in cases like this I don't
know exactly where to start.  And from my brief glance at news.software.readers
last night I fear posting a question there - too many damned unix geeks who
seem to get an obscene pleasure out of responding with RTFM.

Joe is a *nix text editor which uses Wordstar-like commands. Great for those
of us with those ^K things ingrained in our heads from childhood.

And FAR more powerful than pico. Ohmigod. Anything is more powerful than
pico. :)

Hrmmm.  I'll take a look at it.  I don't know why people knock pico.  All
I need to do is type, not word-process, after all.  I guess I got used to
the interface using pine and have stuck with it.

I also need to figure out how to make my colors nice in Linux itself since I've
turned on ANSI color to get the benefit of your (now modified) color settings in
the .slrnrc file.  I love the colors in slrn but now everything in my regular
window is a horrid light gray or blue instead of my prefered bright yellow on
black.

You know, what I need is a great big book on Linux, preferrably one that deals
with whatever might be specific to Redhat 5.1, since that's what I've installed.
I looked on both www.bookpool.com (great cheap book prices) and amazon.com and
couldn't really find much of anything.  The book people seemed to like most was
one of the Unleashed books by Sams, but it was published when Redhat 4.2 came
out.

Then again, for all I know the only real differences between 4.2 and 5.1 are
fat-32 support - which I don't even need since the machine this is running on is
all Linux all the time.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.auczilla.com - World's Largest Online Selection of LEGO Pieces