 Off-Topic / Fun / 39
Re: Email Editors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 15:50:48 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Sounds cool.  How does it compare to Emacs in powerfulness?  (I've never
used either, but demos I've seen of Emacs underwhelmed me from the
complexities of Ctrl-this Ctrl-that.)

It's not nearly as powerful as emacs -- it doesn't have any scripting
capabilities (that I am aware of, at least). If I didn't already know the
wordstare commands, I probably wouldn't use it.

When I first started getting into Linux/Unix, I looked desperately for an
editor that made sense to me, and this is what I found. I've since had to
learn vi (because it's always there!) but the concept of a text editor in
which you have to enter a special mode to actually edit text still weirds me
out.

It is pretty configurable, though. And ships with a pico emulation mode
(jpico) and an emacs-like mode (jmacs).