 CAD / 44
Re: Ldlite 1.0 delayed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:19:48 GMT

Strangely enough, Ldlite started as a cross-platform LDRAW.
But with the help of a few others, I've been amazed at how
fast it runs on Windows.  It's become clear that a Windows
version adds a lot of value to the majority of people, so
I've sort of gone-with-the-flow and added a bunch of windowsisms
to the code.  It still should be rather portable, and I'd be
glad to offer advice to anyone working on a Linux version.

The WindowsCE port has hit a few roadblocks.  WindowsCE
leaves out some of the more obscure and lesser used functions,
such as <flame>fopen()</flame>.  Add to that the fact that
WindowsCE is Unicode-based, and life gets a little messy.

Ldlite 1.0 should actually, really, truely get released this
weekend.  My excuse for not doing it last weekend was that
I took a trip to the Mall of America (cool stuff there!).

-gyug

Matthew Miller wrote:

Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> wrote:
Ldlite is a microsoft-windows native version of LDRAW,
rewritten from the ground up.  Version 1.0 will be
LDRAW compatible and render images about 8 times faster.
<http://www.gyugyi.com/l3g0/ldlite/>

This looks nice. What's the status of the Linux version? Any progress beyond
the planning stage?