 Off-Topic / Fun / 37
36  |  38
Subject:
K6-2 and Linux?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 08:55:10 GMT

While we're on the subject of Linux here, I was wondering if
anyone has any experience using it on a K6 or K6-2 machine?
I was looking at www.compwarehouse.com and they have a K6-2 300
and MB combo for $197.  I'd do the $15 upgrade to go to the 100mhz
bus board with AGP and 1 meg cache, so $212 for a cpu+mb seems
like a good deal.

With all the extra cases and such I have laying around all I
would need to add to it to make a functioning Linux box would
be a 128mb DIMM and a CDROM drive, since I already have spare
hds, nics, and video cards.

I figure I can put the whole thing together for about $450,
and just use my monitor to install, then run it with an X-server
like Matthew and I have been discussing.

'Course, whether or not I can build this box to play on depends
on how much I overspend on putting my own new box together (Rachael
will inherit my P2-350 since I want to play with oc'ing a 300a.)
and how much I want to limit my Lego spending for a few months. :(

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.auczilla.com - World's Largest Online Selection of LEGO Pieces