 Off-Topic / Fun / 3693
Re: Happy December!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:04:04 GMT

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:23:12 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:

It is illegal to sell candy in the US that has any sort of alcohol in
it.

Aw, man.. That _sucks_. Not even cherry bon-bons?

I have never heard a good explanation why other than "kids might eat
it and decide that booze is fun or tastes yummy". Which, if you've ever

Well, yeah, but booze _does_ taste yummy ;)

When handled properly. Cherry+Kirsch filled candies, rum with your
raisin cakes, and single malts pure (and _never_ on the rocks).

Wow, crazy.  In the last couple years (a budding tradition), Christmas doesn't
even start until Costco has packs of rum candies. ;)  I guess that's the kind
of immoral, corrupting behavior you get when you marry into a Dutch family.
<grin, duck>(1)

That must be it. I'm immoral and corrupt! Whee!

Another odd/related question: Is it illegal to *make* candy with alcohol
therein?  If I was in the States, I could get arrested for my chocolate
cherries!

I've been experimenting a bit with dipping marzipan into chocolate
today - I've come to the conclusion that "rolling your own" produces
much better-tasting candy than the store-bought stuff.

Jasper