 Off-Topic / Debate / 2620
2619  |  2621
Subject:
December Riot (Was: Happy December!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:14:34 GMT

"Eric Hampusgård" wrote:
<Warning Type=Religious Value="Don't start a riot on me for this">

Check.  No riots.

The most fascinating thing is that it ends on december 24th, since it's in
remembrance of Jesus Christ whom was born on the 25th. At least according to
my history book (read The Book (aka Bible)).

Um, which verse was that in?  AFAIK, there is no mention in the Bible as to
the date, or even the season, of Christ's birth.  Christmas as a holiday was
placed on December 25 by some Pope (an expansionist theologist) around the
year 354 AD.  This date was the Winter Solstice in the Julian calendar, and
was chosen to try to appease prospective new members (anglican pagans) as this
was the time of their most popular holidays, the Yule (they wooed a druid).
Christmas has been market-driven since day one.  If the Holy Roman Catholic
Marketing Dep't. had been pushing into Egypt instead of Northern Europe at the
time, Christmas may well have fallen upon August 14.

But we need a big holiday at this time.  If Christmas wasn't so conveniently
placed, I'd be celebrating the Solstice for no other reason except that it
means warm weather is approaching.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Arthur, I have POCKETS!!!