 General / 11100
Re: Happy December!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:15:46 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Daniel Moquin writes:
In lugnet.general, Tamyra Teed writes:
Ok, I've got probably a stupid question about the Advent Calendar...
which door do you open? 1 cuz it's the 1st.. or do you open 24 so you
can count down the days till christmas? and leave number 1 till
christmas day or christmas eve??
I was a deprived child, I never had one of these before.. chocolate kind
or lego kind!

Tamy

Good Question - I never thought about it.  Remembering back to my youth, I • seem
to recall that the 24 was the biggest and most important door, so I would
assume that to be the last door.  ie Start at number 1 as I'm sure you've seen
in a few posts.

Dan M.

Definitively: you start at 1 and go to 24, matching the days on the calendar.
That's why it's called an advent *calendar*, not an advent goodie countdown.

I had one of these every year from when I was just a toddler until I was about
15 or so, along with a basket full of Marzipan, Lebenkuchen, almonds, fruit,
Chocolade, and Stollen (the last which I never really cared for).

Post in lugnet.loc.de if you don't believe me, advent calendars are a big thing
in Germany.

Wow Larry,  I did too.  Especially the Nürnberger Lebkuchen (gingerbread), and
Lübecker Marzipan (Almond Paste confections - tastes better than it sounds).  My
mother used to make Stollen (German Fruitcake), but quit making it a few years
back.

Besides the LEGO Advents Calendar, I also have a Asbach-Uralt Brandy Chocolate
Advent Calendar (Asbach-Uralt is a very popular German Cognac).  Yummy.  For those
who have never experienced the wonderful (and very potent) Asbach Uralt Brandy
Chocolates (illegal to purchase (but not to own) in most of the USA), they are the
finest brandy chocolates in the world.  (My German bias showing thru.)

Frohe Weihnachten und ein gesundes Neues Jahr
Un joyeaux Noël et une bonne et heureuse Annèe
Merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year

Gary Istok