 Off-Topic / Fun / 3639
Re: Happy December!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:23:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Selçuk wrote:

Illegal Chocolate?  What kind of a thing is it?..:-)

It is illegal to sell candy in the US that has any sort of alcohol in
it. I have never heard a good explanation why other than "kids might eat
it and decide that booze is fun or tastes yummy". Which, if you've ever
been to florida during spring break, you know that kids already came to
that conclusion anyway, it just took them a bit longer.

Wow, crazy.  In the last couple years (a budding tradition), Christmas doesn't
even start until Costco has packs of rum candies. ;)  I guess that's the kind
of immoral, corrupting behavior you get when you marry into a Dutch family.
<grin, duck>(1)

Another odd/related question: Is it illegal to *make* candy with alcohol
therein?  If I was in the States, I could get arrested for my chocolate
cherries!

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: My wife occaisionally lurks. ;)