 Off-Topic / Fun / 1837
Re: Rollercoasters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 07:43:06 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Carbon 60 wrote:

What's the highest concentration of quality rollercoasters in the US?

Hands down on quantity would have to be Cedar Point, "America's roller
coast(tm)" per their PR, Sandusky Ohio(on Lake Erie) with 12. It has
some really good ones. Raptor may be the finest inverted steelie ever
built, and Magnum 2000 the finest conventional non looping steelie. I
have had a season pass there two times.

   I'm actually going to CP next Tuesday.  The highlight for me has always
been taking the midnight ride on the Magnum 200XL (I know there's an
ingrained urge to make everything "2000," but it's really "200") in
pitch-black.  You face out towards Lake Erie as you go up, and if there's
little or no moonlight, it's positively terrifying if only because the
coaster looks so flimsy from the ground.

   Now, Carbon 60 said:

If you ever do a UK Trip I recommend 2 places to visit for highest
coaster concentration:  Alton Towers:  Oblivion, Nemesis (Hang-down one
- track above you), Black hole (The whole ride is pitch black - you
don't know where you are going), and many others.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach:  The Big One and the biggest selection of
wooden rollercoasters anywhere - the have 11 IIRC.

   I went to Alton Towers in '97, which was absolutely surreal.  Now, I
can't remember Disney World, but it seems that the funky happy music wasn't
*nearly* as obnoxiously omnipresent there as it was in the opening area of
Alton Towers.  I wasn't particularly impressed with the rides themselves
(Black Hole was OK, but not stunning), but the grounds were absolutely
stunning.  And, as seemingly with all of England, it predictably rained
between 2 and 3 pm, sunlight the rest of the day.

   I've never been to Blackpool, though.  I'd be wary of going swimming at
a place named "Blackpool Pleasure Beach."  It just sounds unnerving and
peat-boggy.

   LFB.