 Off-Topic / Fun / 1808
Re: Rollercoasters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 15:21:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Ed Jones wrote:

Yes. I assume you participate in the annual ranking/poll?? I stopped
reading rec.roller.coaster due to time constraints rather than lack of
interest. Are you in ACE?

I'm not in ACE, yet.  I've considered it many times, but I am lucky to get to 3
parks in a summer.

I've never ridden the cyclone, unf.

Major bummer.  An all time classic, rattle your ribs, throw you around,
vibration-a-thon.

My favorite woody has to be Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk,
followed closely by (and i know this is an unpopular choice, a lot of
people hate it) The Beast at Kings Island N of Cincinnati.

Hate the Beast - ASFIC, greatly overrated.

My favorite steelie has to be Desperado at Primadonna resort, State Line
CA. 200 vertical, 80 MPH. Kicks butt. Manhattan express in Las Vegas is
also fun because of the theming. And one has to acknowledge Kumba at
Busch Gardens as nice.

I don't have much fondness for Steelies, but Magnum at CP, and Raptor, are
great.  DP's Steel Force is Magnum without the guts.

I'm also partial to dark rides such as Space Mountain (ridden both the
FL and CA ones) and Outer Limits (at KI) which is cool because it uses a
linear magnetic accelerator instead of a lift hill. Coasters on piers
are also fun for me (Sea Serpent, and Great White, both in Wildwood NJ
are faves for me)

They redid the WildMouse at Wildwood.  If you get there don't miss it.  They
redid the cars.  Kept the chassis, but put spinning Tea Cups on top, so not
only do you have those sharp turns, but the cars spin when you hit them - truly
demented.  :')

My favorite personal memory of a coaster, though, would have to be
riding the Wildcat at Lake Compounce CT. (1992??) Seems that park had an
unbroken string of operating seasons, fell on hard times, and the
townspeople got together, volunteered, and got the park open over labor
day weekend just to keep the string going one more year. Wildcat is a
nice woody, nothing special, but the emotions of it were special.

Mine would be spending summer evenings at Idora Park (Youngstwon Ohio) riding
the Wildcat for hours (like 20-30 times in a row).

I TRY to have a season pass to some park somewhere if it makes business
sense to do so (that I will be on a project near it all summer). This
year was going to be Valley Fair in MN but I am not going to be on that
project much longer.
--
How is Valley Fair.  I'm going to be in Madison WI in August - am considering
going to Wisconsin Dells.

Ed "Boxer" Jones
The Coney Island Cyclone - Know your ribs will be wounded, thanks to
gravity, but not dead...