 Off-Topic / Fun / 1829
Re: Dark Rides (was Re: Rollercoasters)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:30:26 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:

I'm also partial to dark rides such as Space Mountain (ridden both the
FL and CA ones) and Outer Limits (at KI) which is cool because it uses a
linear magnetic accelerator instead of a lift hill. Coasters on piers
are also fun for me (Sea Serpent, and Great White, both in Wildwood NJ
are faves for me)

Err, I don't mean to be pedantic (well, ok, so I do), but Space Mountain isn't
a "dark ride".  It's a roller coaster that happens to take place in the dark.
"Dark rides" (disney-specific) would include Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Peter
Pan ride, Pirates of the Carribean (though only barely, it's not very dark- but
it still qualifies), It's a Small World (also not really dark), and, of course,
that Haunted Mansion, one of my all-time favorite rides.

Mr. Toad is a motorized car using a guide rail to follow a predefined
path through an essentially flat area, Peter Pan is a suspended overhead
tracked ride (uses overhead chain conveyor technology), Pirates is a
guided boat ride, small world an unguided boat ride, I think, and
Haunted mansion is a undercar tracked ride (again uses chain conveyor
technology). They are all Dark Rides because they take you through
scenes, there is no technology correlation.

But I didn't SAY Dark Ride, I said dark ride. Check your capitalization
before you pedant, eh? :-) I certainly like Dark Rides, but I also like
rides in the dark, especially coasters, which is what we're talking
about. Hope that helps. :-)

Space Mountain, arguably, is almost a Dark Ride because of the
planetarium aspect, as well as things such as the spacemen on the lift
hill, the "launch control" commentary, the spacewarp tunnel coming out
of the load, and the conveyor belt scenes on the exit.

And Haunted Mansion is one of my all time favorite non coaster rides.
FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.