 Off-Topic / Fun / 10450
RE: Once again, a relativley major bug...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:58:05 GMT

As long as Michael jealously guards the source to the application like
he does
...the word jealous is probably a small error in translation.
I'm going to assume Amaury is a native French speaker and will offer the
alternative word of "closely guards" over "jealously guards".

Uh, you need to look this word up because a phrase like "jealously guards" is
not at all uncommon.

I know it's in common use, but it has immediately negative feelings
that come with it.

I have done lots of editing of non-native English speakers for various
LEGO books and I can say that awkward translations by the original author
to English sometimes results in unwanted side effects.

I just made the comment to avoid the inevitable flame war, and since Amaury
did not correct me I'm assuming I wasn't too far off the mark.

<snipped quote from dictionary>

Now maybe you have an opinion about the usage you called into question, but it's
clearly not incorrect.

You are right, it's not incorrect, but I'm willing to bet it's not the
exact meaning Amaury intended.

'Nuff said, maybe Amaury can comment....

Ralph