 CAD / MLCad / 1776
Re: Once again, a relativley major bug...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:47:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Ralph Hempel wrote:

   As long as Michael jealously guards the source to the application like he does
...the word jealous is probably a small error in translation. I’m going to assume Amaury is a native French speaker and will offer the alternative word of “closely guards” over “jealously guards”.

Uh, you need to look this word up because a phrase like “jealously guards” is not at all uncommon.

jeal·ous - adjective

1. Fearful or wary of being supplanted; apprehensive of losing affection or position.
2. a. Resentful or bitter in rivalry; envious: jealous of the success of others. b. Inclined to suspect rivalry.
3. Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy, apprehension, or bitterness: jealous thoughts.
4. Vigilant in guarding something: We are jealous of our good name.
5. Intolerant of disloyalty or infidelity; autocratic: a jealous God.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Now maybe you have an opinion about the usage you called into question, but it’s clearly not incorrect.

-- Hop-Frog