 CAD / MLCad / 1773
Re: Once again, a relativley major bug...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:51:42 GMT

Travis Cobbs wrote:

I agree that cross-platform is good, and I also think that OpenGL is a
more
appropriate API to use because of this.  However, I think it's only fair
to point out that after releasing a Linux native version of LDView, I got
exactly
[one] piece of Linux-related feedback.  (That particular thread then
[generated
various other responses by other users.)  Now maybe my first Linux release
was just that good, but I highly doubt it.

I'll be the first to admit : never even looked at LDView. Up until now I
have done everything in MLCAD, and if I needed a nice image I'd use L3P and
do a POVRAY. I'll look into LDView, who knows what I've missed :D

So what am I trying to say here?  Basically, this: most developers will
agree
that writing portable code is a good thing.  However, the reality of the
situation is that this can often be limiting, and it definitely requires a
great
deal of care.  In addition, limiting yourself to tools that would be easy
port can seriously cut down on your available programming options.  And
unless LDView is completely atypical, then the users themselves don't even
care enough to provide feedback.

I don't even mind if people do a Windows-only version, just that they make
that version as little dependant on external libraries, such as DirectX, so
that something such as Wine (which can handle almost any standard Win32
call) can run the application, without the user needing to install tons of
libraries such as MSVB (which is a nightmare... still haven't managed to
get L3PAO to run either, also some library issues or a Wine bug it seems :(
)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit