 CAD / MLCad / 1758
Re: Once again, a relativley major bug...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:42:19 GMT

I am in no way saying MLCad is bad, just the 3d view rotation.

By the way, you were wrong about both of those programs being paid for,
ZModeler is free.

I do know how much work goes into 3D, but I'm not referencing to
anything that involves changing 3D polygons or attributes at all.
You try ZModeler and tell me how much more sense the 3D rotation
controls make. By 3D controls I mean clicking and dragging the 3D view,
Zmodeler uses a rotation technique known as "Absolute" rotation, whereas
MLCad uses "Relative"--I don't see how hard it could be to just change
the rotation algorithm type.

-AK

Kevin L. Clague wrote:
<snip>
First of all.... The LDraw family of CAD would not be where is is today without
MLCad.  It seems like you are biting the hand that feeds you.

The CAD programs you are referring to are paid for, which probably means that one or more people work on it full time.   Michael donates his time and effort for the benefit of all of us.  He is very generous.

If you were so inspired, you could write a replacement.

I think that non-programmers/engineers have no idea how much work goes into the
development of a program like MLCad.  The world would be a nicer place if users
appreciated the developers of the free LDraw family software more, rather than
just complain.

Also may I mention, when I select "Perspective," I expect to have it in
both design mode AND play mode, not just play mode--Don't know if this
is a bug or if it is intended.

Undoubteldy it is just the way Michael designed it.  Often users seem to think
that because a program is not designed the way they expect it that the program
is buggy (listening Ahui?). When the program does not work the Michael intended,
it is a bug.  When people want the program to work differently it is an
enhancement request.

3D graphics involves a lot of matrix algebra mathematics.  There is more than
one way to represent a 3D space given the same dimensioned matrix.  The late
James Jessiman, who created the LDraw file format, chose one form of
representation.  Since then the CAD industry has chosen a different form as
standard.  Tough to call it *wrong* when there were multiple viable choices.

There *are* things that I'd like to be different in MLCad, but that does not
make them bugs.

I'd like zoom mode to be accessible by pressing and holding a key, and when you
let go, you go back to the normal edit mode.  This is a feature enhancement
request, not a bug.

For me both bugs and enhancement requests are appreciated, as long there is a
tone of overall appreciation of the donation of my free time to the program
development.

Kevin