 Off-Topic / Debate / 9605
  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Weren't the Overseer's something from that book...um...Childhood's End I believe. In which case they would have overly large bodies, small wings, and horns. All in all I guess they'd have devilishly good looks. ^*_*^ Robert (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) If I knew Latin I would sure have a lot of time on my hands... (...) So do you know this for a fact because you are a God, or are you in direct contact with some higher source of power? (...) Then why presume to make assumptions about what it (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) And here I thought those things on yer head were for the convenience of always having a place to hang up your coat. Boy do I feel silly! : ) Robert (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) You too! And here I though I was alone in the world. : ) (...) And why did you presume that they were correct beyond a shadow of a doubt in their thinking? I once read a study by numerous "experts" who said that it takes your stomach ten (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Snipping out your previous texts no doubt helps you to try and pass that off. If I was actually inclined to attack you I suppose I might delve into that further, but I won't. (...) Oh so we can only debate about one thing at a time? Hmmm, it (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God?

(...) Dare I actually post links to philosophy throughout the ages? Hmmm....perhaps some other time. Although if you'd like some insight you need go no farther than some of the lesser developed countries. Simply ask them if they think the world is (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Something like that happened to one of my posts. I followed up to one of Jennifer's posts but then it posted it as if the post I followed up with was the one Jennifer's replied to. A sure fire instance of Post Hoc, Ergo, Propter Hoc. Get the (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) I believe we should classify her as a godess then...unless I missed a meeting on political correctness...and chances are I have. : ) Robert (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Who knows?? But God (if it exists) probably has another "entity" that it looks up to, and chances are it's not called "God". Of course, this assumes that "looks" and "up" actually have some kind of meaning in God's environment... ROSCO (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) I gather that in most modern monotheistic type religions, it all ends up at God, and that is that. No infinite regressions - God is IT, the be all and end all, the omnipotent, the Grand Overseer, He Who Knows all, etc. etc. Often the existence (...) (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Whoa. I thought Ginger was IT. Well, that explains all the hype of the last few months. Steve (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) I had forgotten entirely about IT - the only thing I know about this is what I read on the How Stuff Works web site. It reminds me of the hype surrounding a couple of vapourware computer games on the old ZX Spectrum back in the mid eighties (...) (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Beware the JubJub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch... Though in this case, like the Snark, the Bandersnatch turned out to be a Boojum. There's a Carrollian logic buried in there somewhere. :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) looks (...) God, (...) But thats *human* religions!! What if God has It's own religion? What does It call Its Grand Overseer?? ROSCO (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) If I knew the Latin for "who guards the guards?", I could sound really pretentious here, but unfortunately I don't, therefore I shall have to sound pretentious without the benefit of a dead language. However, the point is already made; God (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Perhaps we are it? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) I have at least one of those three thing. I'm not saying which. ;-) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Of course I am. The little green men communicate with me via my fillings and tell me so. They send me detailed plans for my Technic models. (...) Because this is what people who do believe and study those religions have told me - I am (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God?

(...) When was this mythical period, precisely? Do you have a citation to share with us? (...) See the earlier million-post debate for why your statement is flatly incorrect, or at least grossly inaccurate. (...) Or a Postmodernist, if you really (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) I did not presume any such thing - the current debate concerns whether or not there is a God for God. Now, I could always have come along and said "Pah! Since God cannot be proven to exist, then this entire argument is pointless." However, It (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Funny, 'cos in our environment the word 'probably' has a meaning - that there is sufficient evidence for an event to be more likely to occur than to not occur. Exactly what are you basing the use of this word on in the above context? As for (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) I would. It's easier in the long run. :) (...) Stirring. We like stirring. (...) Personally, I think it shows a lack of imagination (not faith) to assume that everything has to be made by something or someone else. (...) Wow. If I could view (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

Wow! Freaky. I submitted a follow-up to Jennifer's message (evidenced by the indented history), but Lugnet's taken it as a follow-up to Robert's message prior to that. Now I'm confused. Was that intervention divine? Or just fabulous? Can we move (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Robert, have you spent any time looking at Jennifer's TECHNIC creations? She's obviously a god. Steve (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Indeed - for example, a colleaugue of mine from Egypt once had a taxi driver rant at him for the duration of his journey about how the Pyramids must have been made by aliens since they were such advanced structures for their time etc. (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) So you'd like to think pal, but you'd be wrong :-) The reason I snip a great deal of previous text from these messages is that they become incredibly tiresome to wade through (more so than usual), with one ending up reading one new line per (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) Uh, I hate to point out your hypocristy...but on the one hand you say it's easy to go back through the previous messages in the thread, and yet you add spaces to the subject line which as you know breaks the thread apart. Not only that but (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is Robert Bevens exceedingly obnoxious? (was: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years...))

In just a few days in lugnet.off-topic.debate, Robert Bevens: (...) Makes unwarranted assumptions about other posters' experience. (...) Is a smart-aleck about it. Also: Ignores substantive point on how annoying tit-for-tat arguments are. (...) (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) [snip] (...) [snip] (...) [snip] (...) Hmmmm. Robert, you're really starting to sound like someone else who came around here temporarily a while back - what was his name? Matthew Boulton? I'd almost forgotten..... ROSCO (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The play's the thing (was Re: Does God have a name for God have a name for God....)

(...) At this point a general warning should be given that in the near future Robert will likely announce that he has been playing a game with us to see how we'd react. I, for one, feel greatly privileged to have been a part of this bold and (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) While I am flattered by your attribution of devious directed obfuscation, unfortunately I must confess to not being as clever as all that in this matter - I've not knowingly changed the subject line in any of the messages I've replied to. That (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The play's the thing (was Re: Does God have a name for God have a name for God....)

(...) Hmmm again. So, if he's actually _trying_ to come across as a complete failure, and in that, he's a resounding success, which is he? Jason (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The play's the thing (was Re: Does God have a name for God have a name for God....)

(...) No, not really. (...) You make it sound as if I've gone to some great length to hide my identity. A couple weeks ago I posted some links to pictures of some of my models, two new, and one old. So anyone following my work would obviously know (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Robert Bevens exceedingly obnoxious? (was: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years...))

(...) Uh, excuse your stupidity, but after doing it just once, one should be able to tell it breaks the thread apart...unless they're just blind or stupid, and I sure as heck wouldn't ever call Jennifer stupid. I mean if you're having such a (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")

(...) It's probably using the reference header to sort them instead of the subject. Just out of curiosity, what news reader are you using? Seems odd that it should randomly put spaces into the subject line. o_O (...) Gee, PKB lames, have ye reached (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The play's the thing (was Re: Does God have a name for God have a name for God....)

(...) Just try & cool it Robert. It may sound like that to you, but yours is only one opinion. (...) No, some may have followed your links - that doesn't imply they know who you are. ROSCO (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The play's the thing (was Re: Does God have a name for God have a name for God....)

(...) No matter what the result is, there will always be someone eager to: Misinterpret it. Fake it. Believe it happened according to his own pet theory. Robert (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The play's the thing (was Re: Does God have a name for God have a name for God....)

(...) I'm tryin to keep things as cool as possible, if any serious debate starts over it I'm not going to get involved, there's no need. To me this group is just a fun place to yammer back and forth over stuff that probably isn't taken too (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Courtesy? (was: lots of other stuff)

(...) Well, I'm not interested in getting into your other debate, but I disagree with your opinion on this point. I think that is *exactly* the *difference* between courtesy & respect - one is given freely, the other is earned. ROSCO (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Courtesy? (was: lots of other stuff)

(...) Agreed. Being at least somewhat courteous is an implicit requirement in the ToS here. Even to darn fools that you do not respect. ++Lar (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Courtesy? (was: lots of other stuff)

(...) Hmmm....I should probably clarify, my bad. I believe there is a certain amount of courtesy which should be practiced and given out for free, such as holding doors open for the person behind you, not parking directly in front of a guy whose (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)