 Off-Topic / Debate / 9779
Re: Courtesy? (was: lots of other stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 06:54:27 GMT

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 06:47:22 GMT, "Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Robert Bevens writes:

To me courtesy is like respect, it's earned, not given out for free
just because you showed up with shoes and a shirt on.

Well, I'm not interested in getting into your other debate, but I disagree with
your opinion on this point. I think that is *exactly* the *difference* between
courtesy & respect - one is given freely, the other is earned.

ROSCO

Hmmm....I should probably clarify, my bad.  I believe there is a
certain amount of courtesy which should be practiced and given out for
free, such as holding doors open for the person behind you, not
parking directly in front of a guy whose hauling a trailer thus
forcing him to have to back out, not interupting, etc. etc.  However
in some other respects courtesy is something that is earned.  As an
example take two sets of people living in an apartment building.  One
of them works at night and sleeps during the day.  The other works
during the day, sleeps at night, and makes a moderate amount of noise
while he's at home.  Now, if the person trying to sleep during the day
can't sleep because of the noise, does he have a right to get upset
and should the person who follows the same schedule most people do
specifically cater to this person who is asking him to make special
accomadations for him?  Maybe yes, maybe not.  If you don't know the
guy that well and have seen some instances where he seems like a jerk,
probably not.  On the other hand if he's a nice guy, you know him,
he's gone out of his way for you at one point or another, etc, etc,
the answer may be yes.  For the most part I agree with you though.

Robert