 Off-Topic / Debate / 9654
Re: Does God have a name for God? (was: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:27:43 GMT

<jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote:

So do you know this for a fact because you are a God, or are you in
direct contact with some higher source of power?

Of course I am. The little green men communicate with me via my fillings and tell me
so. They send me detailed plans for my Technic models.

You too!  And here I though I was alone in the world.  : )

I hasten to add that none of this implies that I have any belief in the divine

Then why presume to make assumptions about what it does and does not
believe in?

Because this is what people who do believe and study those religions have told me -

And why did you presume that they were correct beyond a shadow of a
doubt in their thinking?  I once read a study by numerous "experts"
who said that it takes your stomach ten minutes to tell your brain
it's full.  No joke, it was even added in that scientific journal
thingy.  The funny thing about the situation was that they didn't take
into account several very non neurological occurrences.  Like that the
reason you feel fuller after you eat isn't because your neurons are a
little slow in firing, but because of gastric occurrences in the
stomach.  You see, sometimes even the simplistic of things can be
easily over looked.  At one point in time almost every "expert" in the
world believed the world was flat...something to think about.

I am respecting their belief and passing it on in this discussion.

Well that's peachy.  You're not on trial though so I wish you wouldn't
try and defend yourself like that.  This is a debate, not a whose
right and whose wrong, let's all start pointing fingers at each other.
You can post whatever you like to the off-topic group, regardless of
whether I think it's kosher or not.

Often in religious
arguments/debates/discussions the notion of infinite regression of Gods comes up, and
the answer I have most often heard from believers of Western style religions are that
God is it - there is no God for God, as he created everything.

Well every religion has it's own twists and turns.  Perhaps the reason
most people don't believe there is a God for God is because they don't
need to.  I mean really when was the last time you pondered about
whether there is a God, afterlife, or what ever for household
appliances?  Worrying about whether or not God has a God isn't usually
a very worrisome aspect in most people's beliefs.

I am simply saying that for those who believe in God in a certain way, this is how
they tell me they see it.

I see, apparently there was some confusion, probably those phrases
you used like "does not" and "is the" that threw my interpretation
off.

Western religions?  LOL, that's funny.  At last check you can find
almost ANY religious practice in America.  Heck we got em all,
Buddhists, Christians, Nihilists, Wiccans, Hindus, Darwinists, etc,
etc, etc.  I mean really, try and name a single religion that isn't
practiced by at least one person in America.

Just because someone practices a religion at some place on or off planet (which
astronaut said "And in the beginning..." from orbit?) does not indicate the origins of
that religion.

Again attempting to defend yourself...in a rather poor way I might
add.  I don't recall anything in the thread about origins of religious
beliefs...hmmm....perhaps I'm just a little slow...or perhaps you
should word your sentences more carefully.  Otherwise it's sorta like,
"It's not what you say it's what you mean."

When I say "Western based monetheistic religions" I am referring to
mainstream religions mainly originating in the West, such as Christianity, which
I gather is the most popular religion in the western world.

Christianity originated in America?  Hmmm...and here I thought we
slaughtered that into the Indians thereby forcing them to give up
their long cherished beliefs.  Oh hell, as long as we are rewriting
history to defend ourselves against arguments that don't exist can I
take back the time I accidently set the rug on fire in 3rd grade?  Now
I know what you're going to say next, you'll say that by the west you
don't necessarily mean America, and blah, blah, blah, sidestep,
backpedal, sidestep.  However since I mentioned America earlier and
you didn't seem to have any beef with it this time I just logically
presumed that's what you had in mind, but hey, feel free to tell me
I'm wrong.

And if you think you're going to drag me into a debate about evolution being a
religion you've got another thing coming ;-)

Well you can't really debate that.  I mean a religion is a set of
organized beliefs.  Believing you came about because of evolution is a
set of beliefs.  Therefore it can be considered a religion.  I myself
don't really believe in anything, and yet in my own perfect design
there are flaws, apparently I'm apart of a group of believers called
Nihilists.  : )

Robert