 Off-Topic / Debate / 78
Re: Non-"Leading Brand"s here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:59:38 GMT

Once upon a time, "Jesse Long" <LongJR97@hotmail.com> wrote:

Local is a very relative term.  Local can be a hundred miles away, in terms
of what the Air Force was capable of doing.  Actually, they had a lot of
redundant systems, and could launch many missiles from one place if
necessary.  They actually had some missiles loaded with electronics that,
once the missile was fired (over our own airspace), it would launch the
rest.  Consider that the whole concept of the "football" was that the
president could initiate launches from anywhere, and you begin to wonder if
local has anything to do with it at all.

I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse about America's
nuclear capabilities.  Technically, it sounds 'cool', assuming it
would actually work right under field conditions.  But any discussion
of making it easier to launch nukes gives me the willies.

BTW, I notice the past tense in your description.  Are you saying that
these capabilities no longer exist?

Steve