 Off-Topic / Debate / 6834
Re: Israel and the Palestinians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:39:07 GMT

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 05:52:30AM +0000, Erik Olson wrote:
It was Jerry Pournelle's report (in the link I gave) which argues that if
Israeli police can harass and strip-search Canadian and American delegates
without provocation, which happened to him and his party, how can they be
impartial toward even Israeli citizens of Palestinian descent?

_can_ harass?  the police here, in the US, _can_ harass anyone walking
down the street.  Doesn't mean they do, or that it's allowed, right?

That story implies that the agent was not acting according to any law or sense
of justice. And with orders to harass. Hence, government not by laws but by men
(the reverse of the classical statement.)

the story does imply that, without any sort of reasoning.  "... I cannot
think he was acting without instructions. ".  Why?  "Certainly any US
agent would have been disciplined for far less;"  as I'm sure this person
would has been, if his superior ever heard of this.  "... and everyone I
know say our experience was fairly typical. ".  Funny - I've been in and
out of Israel many times, and spent countless hours in the airports...
Never seen, heard, or was told of anyone that had a similar experience.

Finally, it always seems ridiculous to me how many Americans think they know
what to do or who to blame to "fix" the Mideast. President Clinton is the
grossest example.  Larry's a moderate example who thinks he knows what ought to
have been done 100 or 50 years ago by Britain in Palestine. I have to laugh
because I am constantly hearing Americans expound on what should have been done
however many thousand years ago.  As I said Larry's a moderate example. I try
not to get involved but I guess I already am.

Heh, everyone in the middle east thinks they know how to fix things...
Yet somehow, it never gets fixed, does it?  I don't have an answer, but
that's cause I don't feel I can trust the "other side"... :/

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:6110_1>:  Solo Sub (LEGO/SYSTEM/Aquazone/Hydronauts), '98, 22 pcs, 1 figs