 Off-Topic / Debate / 6699
Re: When is a website "independent" and when is it "part of"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:58:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
With the total destruction of Israel, right? I mean, isn't that what the • hard
line states (and Yassir) want? For Israel to be gone, wiped off and the
territory replaced with a new state (not a Palestinian state, mind you...
that's Jordan).

I'm not sure that is true.

It is though. That's exactly what they want.

I know extemists want that, but they are etremists.

I would like to believe that as well, but I cannot do so in light of the past
events. Arafat was supposedly for peace, and we in Israel hoped for a serious
chance to acheive it. But now it seems that the Palestinians who want peace
are not a majority - not by a long shot. And Arafat is not doing anything to
stop the riots (and yes, he does have the power to do so, but he is not doing
it).

I read what in the UK is called a "seriouse" newspaper. I also listen to the
good old BBC, which is, overall, pretty fair. Neither say what you claim.
Perhaps this is part on the international media conspriscy you hinted at?

Not conspiracy, no. A slightly contorted view, yes.

[...]
You've lost me on that.

I'll try again (as much as I'd want to believe otherwise, my language barriers
are still there, and especially when I get riled up ;-).

Larry said...
it's not the US role to be the world's
policeman, but I digress).

...to which you repied with a post disagreeing with this.

Larry replied saying:

That was a throwaway comment and I didn't expect a debate, but since you're
slagging the US, here I am.

In other words, the first quote above was used to prove a point, but when you
challanged the validity of the sentence, Larry backed it up with (whatever it
was Larry used).

Then, you said:
If the US were to
withdraw some of its dogmatic support for Israel - it would have ended
days/weeks/years ago.

The sentence was made to prove your point (CMIIW). I replied challanging that
sentence; you replied saying:

I did not really intend this to be a Palestinian V Israeli debate [..]

All I'm saying is, Larry didn't intend the original post to be a UK vs. US
debate, but it happened. You didn't intend this to be a Palestinian vs.
Israeli debate, but it happened. Isn't that the same?

Hope that makes more sense. It was just a small comment, so feel free to
disregard it.

-Shiri