 Off-Topic / Debate / 6719
Re: Israel and the Palestinians ( WasRe: When is a website "independent" and when is it "part of"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:45:26 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
I did not really intend this to be a Palestinian V Israeli debate, that • always
ends in looking levels of wrongness. However, if the current leader in • Iraq or
the former leader of serbia were to use the same methods - how would that • be
treated internationally? I wonder?

Are you comparing Barak, a democratically elected leader of a democratic • state
that tolerates dissent and has a free press and the rule of law, and
mechanisms to carry out investigations of wrongdoing and a justice system • that
administers justice fairly, and all that it implies

So the democratically take land from those who have lived there for ~1500
years to give to those who came to Israel after the cold war ended?

I'm just asking here, because if you are, if you really don't think • there's
any difference here, then you're more clueless than I thought. • (surprising, I
know, I already think you're pretty clueless, but I may have actually
underestimated that level of cluelessness on your part)

Try to be objective Larry.

And if you aren't, what is your point exactly?

Look. I'm one of the people that thinks that setting up Israel was a bad • *bad*
BAD idea in the first place. I'm one of the people that thinks that the • entire
mideast mess is more the fault of the UK than of anyone else. I'm not by • any
means an Israeli sympathiser. Israel was forced into existance where it • should
not have been, there is NO race or group or ethnicity that has a clear cut
claim on Palestine or on any particular part of the territory, and
partitioning Palestine was the biggest mistake those Fleet Street (or • wherever
the foreign ministry bozos sat at the time) losers ever made. Bigger than
India and Pakistan, even.

Who is the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him?

Palestine should never have been partitioned. No amount of subdividing • will
work, no amount of carving off pieces of land will satisfy one group or • the
other. All of Palestine should have been ruled by a coalition goverment
composed of all ethnicities and the UN should have forced all ethnicities • to
come to some accomodation, using a secular government that favored no • religion.

Israel is a democratic country with a
rule of law and it is far better to be an Muslim in Israel than it is to • be a
Jew in any Arab country you'd care to name, even Jordan, or even in Arafat
administered territory.

It is still not good. Comparing it to a thing which is bad makes it look
better, but it is still not good.

What has happened of late, on the israeli side, if it involves excessive • use
of force, will be investigated and dealt with. Can you say the same for • the
Hezbollah? They're not going to investigate the use of excessive force! • Heck
no, they consider any use of force to be not quite enough. Can you say the
same for Arafat's thugs in police uniforms? I don't think so.

It is still not good. Comparing it to a thing which is bad makes it look
better, but it is still not good.

So drop the line that says that Israel is some sort of bad guy in this • latest,
it won't wash.

Did I say that? No. If anyone cares to support the other bush in this, I'll
shout them down too.

The bad guy is the US for forcing Israel to negotiate with
terrorists and thugs. Do you normally negotiate with your assailant and • tell
them that it's OK to carve off your finger and your ear but would they • mind
not carving out your heart? Seems laugable, doesn't it?

Heart? What are you referring to?

Israel has gotten, and continues to get, a raw deal in the world media, I • have
no idea why.

I do. It is a international pro Muslim western media conspiracy.

Having said all that I say again, Israel has no right to exist, it was • imposed
on the region, but you can't unmake an omlette, especially by shooting the
diners.

Omelettes can be shared.

Scott A