 Off-Topic / Debate / 6406
Re: Secret Agent Theme for 2001? (was: Re: New S@H Catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:22:18 GMT

Selçuk Göre <ssgore@superonline.com> wrote:
<CHOP OTHER STUFFE>

If you want to take photos or made some electronic survey, you may be
right about SR-71, but you don't need anymore since the effective use of
spy satellites. But if you want carry and drop something (human, etc.)
what can you do with a SR-71? Parachuting it while cruising at an
altitude around 100,000 feet, at a speed around 3.5 mach?..:-)

His logic is completely true here, since from the beginning of the
thread, since people here are talking about delivering something, not
surveying.

Not a better spy plane, but way better spy carrying plane, I
suppose..:-)

...When I used to work for an airport maintenance service, my boss commented that the CIA
really liked using little Cessna like planes that had an incredible lift to wingspan ratio
and could fly at 35mph. I got to watch one take off one day and it took off on a length of
runway shorter than my driveway. In terms of being able to drop into somewhere and get
back out, short of a helicopter, these little planes were perfect (and undoubtedly are
cheaper and more fuel efficient than a helicopter... and a good bit quieter). A 50 foot
clearing would be plenty to park one.

--
...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
Jain's Guide (http://wildlink.com/lego/jain)