 Off-Topic / Debate / 6127
Re: Order Cancellations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:42:27 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Frank Filz writes:

There are two problems here. The first problem is that the ordering
system is not properly keyed into inventory, allowing people to order
items which are out of stock. The system should show you if the item is
out of stock, and then allow you to chose to place a backorder, or come
back later.

The second problem is the terms of the sale. The store should more
clearly indicate on the sale if it is limited to quantities on hand (I'm
not sure what the legal requirements are here, but customer relations
demand identifying when quantities are limited [and note that
"clearance" implies that quantities are limited - except in a certain
Target for 5978s...:-)]).

This raises and interesting question when examined with Libertarian
principles. Current consumer law demands that if a store advertises an
item at a price, that they actually have that item available for
purchase at that price. I think this law is actually unreasonable when
examined from a Libertarian perspective (note however that the property
owner renting the space to the store COULD make a condition of the use
of the space that the store actually have the items in stock - I would
see this most likely desired by malls who stand to lose reputation if
the stores in the mall pull tricks with sales which aren't really sales
because the item isn't in stock). The newspaper which caries the add of
course could also require the items to be in stock.

There may be legal recourse however if the store doesn't honor the
advertised price when they have the item in stock (i.e. they advertise
XYZ for $9.95 this week but when you get to the store it's actually
$19.95). Of course reasonable errors need to be accomodated. I suspect
legal recourse even in this case would be limited.

Of course on all of this I'll admit to a bit of laziness in not
examining the whole picture, so I may be missing something.

follow-ups to: lugnet.off-topic.debate
Thanks for the feedback.  I believe I agree with your comments.  And I doubt
one could make a legal case at this time, because there are few regulations or
laws (that I know of) regarding e-commerce.  But this sequence of events is
occuring more regularly to me as I find deals on-line.  And it seems like an
easy out for the retailer.  I guess I'm just hoping/wishing for better ways to
handle these occurances in the future (or prevent them).  I've hit a string of
bad luck with canceled orders, sales pulled early in bad fashion, and lost
rebate forms (cyberrebate.com) requiring me to spend too much time to document
and resubmit orders/claims/etc.  And it just shouldn't be "this hard".

Dave