 Off-Topic / Debate / 27368
Re: The Guardian unworthy of toilet paper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:38:11 GMT

   Hey, something just occurred to me. With your above statement in mind, would you say that it is appropriate or inappropriate to have a citizen’s private extramarital affair dragged through the media for months on end?

Appropriate? Don’t know if I use that word. Listen, most of the news churned out by the media is pure pulp. Think Hollywood. I couldn’t care less about a star’s private life; in fact, the less I know about it, the better for them, because I tend to associate negatively with “stars” who use their 15 minutes of fame to espouse their agendas.

But is it inevitable? Oh yeah. As long as someone cares about that stuff (and there will always be those who do) there will be the papparazzi right there to serve it up for them.

As for politicians’ private lives.... if they have committed a crime then I see no reason to hide their shame. Perhaps a little more shame and conscience in the first place might have avoided the incident in question.

Is it the job of the media to seek out those stories? I don’t think so. But if a wife of an adulturous senator goes to the media and wants the world to know what a sleeze he is, who is to stop her? We make our beds, and we must lie in them;-)

I don’t believe that merely because one is a “public figure”, one must sacrifice privacy. These people still have rights. But it seems to me that the more one thrusts oneself into the limelight, the more one must realize that there is a price for that fame. For isn’t fame the very opposite of privacy?

   Just curious...

As opposed to “Just Curios,” a store specializing in knicknacks and nothing but knicknacks.

Specialty stores are curious. I’ll never understand how a store which only sold socks would survive (Sox Appeal).

JOHN