 Off-Topic / Debate / 27357
Re: Bennett IS unworthy of being used as toilet paper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:43:05 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Boiled down, Bennett did indeed say “Abort all black babies and cut crime.” You can slap qualifiers on it such as he said it might be morally reprehensible, but I think his very statement was pretty morally reprehensible regardless on a rather large number of levels.

If you took all clone purchasers and boiled them alive, TLG’s competitors would go bankrupt and it would be good for AFOLs (assuming what’s good for TLG is good for AFOLs).

I just said that, but do I actually advocate it? Of course not. But it does represent one way TLG would instantly find themselves in a better financial situation.

And LEGO won’t say it. Why? They would find it morally reprehenisble. Just like they are not going to say that if all black babies were aborted and LEGO wouldn’t have to make non-yellow minifigs. Maybe that would be true, but they wouldn’t be so classless, insensitive, and downright stupid as to say it.

Does your opinion of me decrease at all because of my statement above? Aborting black babies and boiling humans of any race are equally morally reprehensible. But I doubt that you think less of me, because I’ll bet you are willing to give me the benefit of the doubt.

1. I wouldn’t be taking you seriously. 2. You aren’t in a position of power or influence to act out such fantasies. 3. You aren’t making a racially based insinuation that blacks are the source of crime.

Maybe how one feels about Bennett’s statement simply depends upon how one feels about Bennett the man. Like him, cut him slack; hate him, and excoriate him for his words.

Be clueless as to why his statement is offensive whether he was advocating it or not, and be clueless as to the criticism (even Bush figured out to run for the hills).

Bennett has “issues”, as do we all, but I don’t think that racism and advocating abortion are among them.

Remember that racism can be motivated by cluelessness and is not restricted to those who actually preach hate. Even then, I am not at all convinced that he is simply clueless, and that he may well have been trying to slam blacks delibrately.

-->Bruce<--