 Off-Topic / Debate / 27337
Re: The Guardian unworthy of toilet paper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In any case, he is certainly not advocating in any way, shape, or form what the headline read. You must acknowledge that.

The headline doesn’t suggest one way or the other that Bennett is advocating anything.

Really? “Abort all black babies and cut crime, says Republican”. That doesn’t come off as a proposal? Please.

   It is reporting what he said, then goes on to chronicle the incident itself and the reaction to it. Giving abbreviated but accurate headlines is what the purpose of a headline is.

Therein lies the rub-- “accurate”.

   Would you have preferred “Republican radio talk show host used questionable-yet-accurate rhetorical device while in debate with caller concerning race, abortion, crime, and economics”?

That’s my whole point, Lenny! It is a non-story. The “story” comes as a result of the headline. They are manufacturing the news.

   And the smear works like a charm. For instead of debating the sleezeball journalism practiced by the Guardian (which was the topic of my post), we are talking about Bennett, and whether he’s a racist, and when was the last time he beat his wife.

I disagree. I had no real idea what your initial post was about. You raised an issue but didn’t provide enough of a topic to guide the discussion where you wanted it to go. The topic was Bennett’s racist comment, so that’s where the discussion went.

What racist comment!!! <wrings hands>

   However, I disagree that the Guardian is doing anything out of the ordinary. If the headline is what is bothering you, then the fairly straight forward and complete news-story below should have made you feel better. I didn’t see anything in story that seemed overly biased, and certainly nothing that was libelous.

The entire story bothered me, because it isn’t “news”. It is exactly along the lines of the beating your wife bit.

JOHN